walkli
Interior of the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna, with successive doorways leading through galleries of framed altarpieces in the former Jesuit novitiate.

The long gallery inside the former Jesuit novitiate of Saint Ignatius, home to the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna.

Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna

Bologna · Emilia-Romagna · Italy

The Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna sits in the university district, in the former Jesuit novitiate of Saint Ignatius. Alfonso Torreggiani designed the building in 1726; the Academy of Fine Arts still shares it. Inside, the collection moves from 13th-century panels to 18th-century Emilian painting, with rooms that keep the quiet rhythm of a religious house.

The seeds were planted in the 18th century. Monsignor Zambeccari bought eight early Renaissance altarpieces rescued from the demolition of Santa Maria Maddalena in 1762. In 1776, a dozen 13th-century altarpieces and Byzantine icons came from Urbano Savorgnan's legacy. Both groups were preserved by the Accademia Clementina, the artistic section of the Istituto delle Scienze. According to Luigi Crespi, Cardinal Prospero Lambertini—the future Benedict XIV—had planned a gallery for the city's altarpieces.

Napoleon gave the collection its shape. After 1796, the new Cispadane Republic suppressed churches, convents and guilds. Some paintings were looted and exported; the Bolognese senate gathered the rest into one collection of almost one thousand works, first at St Vitalis, then from 1802 in the novitiate of Saint Ignatius. When Napoleon fell in 1815, many works returned from the Louvre, and Leandro Marconi made the first enlargement.

The permanent collection reads like a civic honor roll: Raphael's The Ecstasy of St Cecilia, Perugino's Madonna in Glory with Saints, Cima da Conegliano's Madonna and Child, Guido Reni's Pala del Voto and Massacre of the Innocents, and Annibale Carracci's Madonna and Child with Saints. In the late 1960s, detached frescoes from Sant'Apollonia di Mezzaratta were installed in the Salone del Rinascimento. The museum opened to the public in 1875, became independent from the Academy in 1882, and was renovated in 1997.

In Bologna's university district, the Pinacoteca Nazionale fills a building made for silence. The former Jesuit novitiate of Saint Ignatius, constructed in 1726 by Alfonso Torreggiani, later became a strange double home: the Academy of Fine Arts and a national painting collection under one roof. It covers seven centuries of Emilian art.

The origin story begins in the 18th century with a cardinal and a salvage operation. According to art historian Luigi Crespi, Cardinal Prospero Lambertini—the future Pope Benedict XIV—imagined a gallery for the altarpieces dispersed through city churches. In 1762, Monsignor Zambeccari acquired eight early Renaissance altarpieces from the demolition of Santa Maria Maddalena. In 1776 another dozen works, 13th-century altarpieces and Byzantine icons from Urbano Savorgnan's legacy, were bought. Both were intended for the Accademia Clementina, the artistic section of the Istituto delle Scienze.

There was also a second conservation pole in the city. The Appartamento del Gonfaloniere in the Palazzo Pubblico had been collecting works since the late 16th century for their civic significance. It held Raphael's The Ecstasy of St Cecilia, Cima da Conegliano's Madonna and Child, works by Lorenzo Costa, Francesco Francia, Pietro Perugino and Annibale Carracci, and Guido Reni's Pala del Voto. Another Reni, the Massacre of the Innocents, dates from 1611.

Revolution changed the collection's logic. After 1796 and the Napoleonic occupation, Bologna entered the Cispadane Republic, and the new regime suppressed convents, churches, and guilds. The authorities removed paintings from many institutions; some were looted and sent elsewhere. The Bolognese senate decided to merge the paintings from suppressed churches and convents with the Accademia delle Scienze holdings into one collection of almost one thousand works.

That collection was first set up in the former Convent of St Vitalis. In 1802 it moved to the former Jesuit novitiate in Borgo della Paglia, now via delle Belle Arti 56, to serve as the gallery of the newly created National Academy of Fine Arts. With Napoleon's fall in 1815, many works seized by the French came back from the Louvre, and the first enlargement was carried out by Leandro Marconi. In 1826 Gaetano Giordani compiled the first catalogue.

The museum kept growing by absorbing the spaces around it. In 1844 it took in the convent chapel, whose ceiling frescoes show the Apotheosis of St Ignatius of Loyola. Between 1867 and 1868, more paintings arrived from further suppressions. It opened regularly to the public in 1875, became autonomous from the Academy in 1882, and acquired the Zambeccari Collection in 1884. Enrico Panzacchi directed it from 1891 to 1896.

The 20th century added a new wing under Edoardo Collamarini and, in the late 1960s, a Salone del Rinascimento designed by Leone Pancaldi under superintendent Cesare Gnudi. That room was made to hold detached frescoes from the Sant'Apollonia di Mezzaratta church. In 1997, the gallery was fully renovated to European standards, with dedicated temporary exhibition space and educational activities.

It remains a place where civic pride and religious art are difficult to separate. The altarpieces once guarded in the Palazzo Pubblico still carry the weight of that responsibility. You can read the collection as a history of Bologna through its painters—or simply stand in a room where a Jesuit novitiate became a gallery for the city.

Do not miss

The Ecstasy of St Cecilia

Raphael's painting was among the works kept in the Appartamento del Gonfaloniere at the Palazzo Pubblico, part of a civic conservation effort active since the late 16th century.

Guido Reni's civic pair

The Pala del Voto was preserved in the Palazzo Pubblico for its high civic significance; the museum also holds the Massacre of the Innocents, dated 1611.

Frescoes from Sant'Apollonia di Mezzaratta

In the Salone del Rinascimento, created in the late 1960s on a project by Leone Pancaldi, these detached frescoes were given a purpose-built home.

The convent chapel of Saint Ignatius

Added to the collection in 1844, the chapel's ceiling frescoes depict the Apotheosis of St Ignatius of Loyola.

Good questions

Who is credited with first imagining a gallery for Bologna's altarpieces?

According to 18th-century art historian Luigi Crespi, Cardinal Prospero Lambertini—the future Pope Benedict XIV—planned a gallery for the altarpieces in city churches. It is an attributed account, not a documented plan.

Why did Napoleon's occupation reshape the museum?

The 1796 occupation brought republican legislation that suppressed convents, churches and guilds. The Bolognese senate combined the paintings from those institutions with the Accademia delle Scienze holdings, forming a collection of almost one thousand works.

How did works that left Bologna end up back in the museum?

After Napoleon's fall in 1815, many works seized by the French were returned from the Louvre to the city. The returns prompted the first enlargement, carried out by Leandro Marconi.

Practical
Entry
See the official website for current entry times and tickets.
Time needed
Not specified in source.
Good to know
A state museum with special autonomy since 2019, housed in the same building as the Academy of Fine Arts. It has dedicated temporary exhibition space and educational activities. The Palazzo Pepoli
Where
In Bologna's University district, inside the former Saint Ignatius Jesuit novitiate at via delle Belle Arti 56

Nearby

Museo della SpecolaBologna · ItalyA cylindrical tower crowning a sixteenth-century palace on Via Zamboni, built 1712-1726 as Bologna's first public observatory. Climb 272 steps past antique telescopes and celestial globes to where, in 1790, a falling lead sphere proved the Earth spins.Cappella Bentivoglio, San Giacomo MaggioreBologna · ItalyA plain Romanesque facade in Bologna hides an Augustinian church begun by 13th-century hermits, later filled with Renaissance additions — a majolica-floored chapel built for the Bentivoglio family, frescoes Tibaldi made for a cardinal, and the last stretch of the city's medieval wall.Museo di Palazzo PoggiBologna · ItalyPalazzo Poggi has been a cardinal's residence, an Enlightenment academy, and, since 2000, a reassembled museum of everything that academy owned: wax anatomies, ship models, an observatory, and disputed Renaissance frescoes, inside the building that still runs the University of Bologna.Oratorio di Santa CeciliaBologna · ItalyA single-nave oratory tucked behind San Giacomo Maggiore's portico on Via Zamboni, its walls frescoed in 1505-06 by Francesco Francia, Lorenzo Costa, Amico Aspertini and the Bentivoglio court's other painters with the marriage, trial and martyrdom of Saints Cecilia and Valerian.Basilica di Santo Stefano (Sette Chiese)Bologna · ItalyA fifth-century bishop tried to build Bologna its own Jerusalem: seven interlinked churches, four of which survive, stacked over a Roman temple, with a courtyard basin wrongly said to be Pilate's and a medieval tomb scandal that got the place sealed for seventy years.Oratorio di Santa Maria della VitaBologna · ItalyFounded in 1275 by flagellant penitents as a hospital, this Bologna sanctuary hid a miracle fresco, collapsed, and rose again as a 52-metre-domed ellipse before waiting until 1905 for its facade. Inside: Niccolo dell'Arca's anguished 1463 terracotta Lamentation.Anatomical Theatre of the ArchiginnasioBologna · ItalyInside Bologna's oldest university, a 1637 amphitheatre of spruce wood once staged public dissections for Carnival crowds. Flayed wooden statues still flank the professor's chair. Destroyed by bombs in 1944, the room you see today was rebuilt around salvaged fragments.San Colombano — Collezione TagliaviniBologna · ItalyA deconsecrated Bologna church holding nearly ninety Renaissance and Baroque keyboard instruments, mostly restored to playing order, beneath a 1600 fresco cycle by young Carracci pupils including Guido Reni, with a Roman crypt below and a Giunta Pisano crucifixion.
Around the world
Listen · 2 min